Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Will a clematis climb up my retaining wall ?

I want to plant clematis to climb up my 6ft. retaining wall. Can they climb up without assistance? Or do I have to provide some sort of support and if so what? Will my retaining wall bricks be sufficient support?





Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Will a clematis climb up my retaining wall ?
Clematis need support to climb. If the wall is concrete, you could drill mortar screws in the mortar of the concrete and attach the vine to the screws with plant tape. The wall bricks should be more than sufficient support. The clematis will outgrow the wall, so I would train it to spread across the wall by keeping it cut back from the top. That way, the clematis will not go over the wall but across it. Most clematis tend to grow about 20 feet long with a few exceptions. The President Clematis is my favorite because the blooms are 6 to 7 inches long and are a dark purple color.
Reply:I would think they would need some sort of support to grasp onto the brick. I have a plastic trellis that I have to loop each twine around to get it started. You can use fishing net wire to train them also. When you plant the clematis you should plant it at a 45 degree angle to make it easier for them to climb.


No comments:

Post a Comment