Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Clematis?????

I've read that there are 3 types of Clematis, organized into their pruning requirements. The second type (I believe) is the type I have. (not sure exactly. it's a hybrid). These articles said to prune it to about 3 feet. Does that mean I cut all the vine down to its lowest 3 feet? I'm sorry this question is so sloppy, but I'm a newbie to gardening and clematis, so anything I missed or got wrong please correct with your answer. thanks to all.

Clematis?????
Hi there, and welcome to the addiction of clematis! Hehehe! You will soon find that once your clematis is doing well, you'll be looking for more clematis plants... (I stay in a townhouse, with a small garden, and I've got about 30 different varieties!)





Back to you Q: You should provide Clematis with the basics first...


1. They want to grow with their heads in the sun! (At least morning sun)


2. Their roots should be kept moist. Not soggy, so good drainage is important!


3. They like to be fed with a general fertilizer at least once a month during spring and summer, but stop feeding them once their flower buds are about 1cm long. This will prolong the flower display.


4.A lot of sources claim that Clematis wants their roots in the shade. This is only because shade allows the soil to retain more moister. (I stay in South Africa, and trust me, our summers are hot. Most of my plants grow in pots. The pots tend to get hot. The plants don't seem to mind this to must, as long as their roots are kept moist. They will soon complain! Hehehe!)





Now for the pruning: The best way to tell which of the 3 types your plant belong to, is to see when it flowers. The montanas are the most common Type 1 - No pruning, but you could tidy the plant a bit after flowering. Make sure the plant is at least a few years of age, and don't trim to much. They hate it!


Type 2 flowers Spring to early Summer, with 2nd flushes later in the summer.


Type 3 flowers later in Summer and early Autumn.





Don't get to hung up on type 2 and 3! Once most danger of frost is over, cut it right back to about 20cm. Make sure you cut just above a pair of plump buds.





The best advise I got was: get to know each plant. Their likes and dislikes, and they will reward you year after year with the most amazing flowers.





I hope this answers you question. Feel free to contact me for more info!





PS I'm no expert, but I do love clematis, and I spent a lot of time with my 'babies'! Hehehe!
Reply:You only have to prune it if you want to do so, but to prune to three feet means to trim it so it is 3 feet tall.





I just let mine grow how they want to, pruning is to encourage bushier growth in most instances. Mine do fine without trimming and I like them looking rangy.


No comments:

Post a Comment