Monday, May 11, 2009

With the clematis plant do you have to cut off the old flowers to get more blooms?

The short answer is no. Clematis tend to drop their dead flowers on their own after they have died. I can usually get my clematis to bloom again in the fall as long as I baby them and keep them well watered. If I let them go after flowering, I have one that will actually shut down and look like it has died - I almost pulled it out the fist time it did that to me. Fortunately, it came back the next spring. Also, I agree that keeping the base shaded it really important with clematis.





Have fun and good luck!

With the clematis plant do you have to cut off the old flowers to get more blooms?
No, you don't cut the flowers off, they fall off. Cut your clematis down in the fall and it will bush out and produce more flowers. Make sure the base of the plant is in shade or place a lot of mulch at the base.
Reply:No. Clematis is a very finicky plant, they don't like to be moved, or touched. Some take forever to bloom. They like their roots to be in the shade and the vine to be in the sun. I had mine on a fence post. It did wonderful until the fence fell down and it got crushed, it kind of went into relaspe for a few years. I transplanted it, gave it to my sister, it's fine. Good Luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment