Friday, November 18, 2011

I've just moved house and inherited a huge old clematis Rubens Montana. When should I prune and how far back.

The Montana is a particularly beautiful and early flowering clematis. If it were mine and I had the space I would NEVER prune it. However I realise that you might want to as they do grow everywhere!


I am really no help at all to you but glad to see that you are keeping the plant and not getting rid of it. take a picture of it before you prune, just to remind you!

I've just moved house and inherited a huge old clematis Rubens Montana. When should I prune and how far back.
This website gives you a few links to useful clematis websites.





The lady that runs this website adores her clematiseseses so she knows what she's talking about!





http://www.plocket.co.uk/useful_links.ht...
Reply:Montanas need no pruning but can be pruned to size. Once it has finished flowering remove all weak growth and any growth that you do not want. It comes under pruning group 1 for clematis.


NB Make sure once pruned you give it a good feed of compost mixed with manure. Clematis are hungry plants!


No comments:

Post a Comment